Celebrate with a practically perfect in every way Mary Poppins themed tea party.
Jane Windsor shares some of her tips on how to host your very own Mary Poppins tea party, perfect for a kid’s birthday party, or to celebrate the release of the new movie in December 2018, featuring Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins. Please note: Jane does not offer children’s parties, but if you would like a catered adult tea party please take a peek at our menu.
- Create a playlist of the movie soundtrack and have the guests singalong.
- Have each child create their own sidewalk chalk art – just like Bert does in the book and movie.
- Fly Kites! Be sure to play “Let’s Go Fly A Kite” soundtrack
- Gold tablecloths mimic the gold tablecloth in the floating tea party scene of the movie.
- Hang a “floating” umbrella over the center of the table using invisible fishing line.
- Just a spoonful of sugar and a dash of milk.
Quote from the 1964 Mary Poppins movie:
Mr Dawes Jr: “In 1773, an official of this bank unwisely loaned a large sum of money to finance a shipment of tea to the American Colonies. Do you know what happened?”
George W. Banks: “Yes sir, I think I do. As the ship lay in Boston harbor, a party of colonists dressed as Red Indians [sic], boarded the vessel, behaved rudely, and threw all the tea overboard. This made the tea unsuitable for drinking – even for Americans!“